Pages

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)


"So much has happened since I last saw you! I lost my hammer, like yesterday, so that's still fresh. Then I went on a journey of self-discovery. Then I met you."

Hi World,

  The Thor: Ragnarok (2017) poster has the design world swooning. Another blogger quotes that it is a "psychedelic Photoshopped masterpiece," and I agree. So, let's talk a bit about the psychedelic art movement. The movement took place from 1960-1975. The style is described as being influenced by hallucinogenic drugs, often LSD, using intense colors and curvy typography. This movement uses much of the same techniques, especially the typography, as the Art Nouveau movement (1880-1910). They psychedelic movement influenced much of life in the late 60's and 70's. Music, art, and pop culture saw changes. Here are a few examples of psychedelic art.


  I would also like to talk about the successful use of imagery in the poster. The way the characters are positioned and stacked reminds me of nesting dolls. Starting with the huge Hulk, the characters become slightly smaller down the line. It is clear that these shots were taken with purpose for this design. Movie posters often struggle when minimal thought is put into the images used. When a "good enough" images is used in a poster...it is obvious. The same is true when a well thought out image is used. All in all, this is a beautiful design, and I am very excited to see the film.




Until Next Time,
P


No comments:

Post a Comment