Pages

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)


"It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage."

Hi World,

  Today I am going to talk a bit about my first love, and the inspiration for the name of my blog, Raiders of the Lost Ark. This is one of my favorite movies and movie posters of all time. Let's start by talking a bit about the creation of two-dimensional planes that represent key points in the film. There is so much depth created using this illustrated style. As I search the background, I am first drawn into the sphere in the center. This, of course, parallels the iconic scene as Indy is running to escape the giant boulder booby-trap to make it out with the Golden Idol in the beginning of the movie. Moving forward through the scene, we meet a beautiful border that highlights major characters from the film. On the lower left of the border, the iconic duo, Indy and Marian, is tied to a post avoiding the doom and destruction that follows the opening of the Ark. In the foreground, we have Indy and the lost Ark of the Covenant. The hero and the dark power are front and center in this design, just as it should be.

  The creation of this poster was clearly influenced by Art Nouveau (1890-1914). Detailed framework and a sexualized central figure and a detailed border is very iconic and recognizable to this style. A long and sexualized central figure, usually female, is often portrayed in this particular style. It is fitting that the central figure, in this poster, be none other than the great Indiana Jones himself. Usually, the women were depicted in long flowing garments. Indy may not exactly meet that definition, but it is clear that he is the intended focal point and his character is being sexualized. Art Nouveau is a style that I am constantly reflecting on and using for inspiration in my personal artwork. It was immediately clear to me where the inspiration from this poster derived from.

  All great movie posters have one thing in common...they are iconic. Even if the title of the movie had been removed from this poster, there would be no question in my mind what movie was being promoted. Indiana Jones is so well known and well depicted, in his fedora and whip, that it would be nearly impossible to misidentify the movie. There is only one aspect of this poster that is more iconic that the infamous character...the font. Generally, I do not like the use of gradients, but this typeface is one of the most recognizable fonts in existence. If any similar font comes into view, I immediately connect with Indiana Jones. That is good branding.

  There are many reasons why I love Raiders of the Lost Ark. The branding and artwork will continue to stand the test of time. This film is almost 15 years older than I am, but I still find myself coming back to this image, style, and design for inspiration. Throughout my career I will strive to create a lasting composition that well become as Iconic and the Indiana Jones series.

Until Next Time,
P

2 comments:

  1. Hey Payton, I really love how you broke down the movie poster! Movie posters fascinate me and I love looking at the details of posters. This has me really excited!

    ReplyDelete